Sunday, November 4, 2007

Dell or Apple?

Decisions decisions... I've been trying to get a new laptop since the start of this year, and always, something happens and my buy would be postponed. Reason: Stupid Vista.

I'm fine with upgrades, like Win98 to WinXP, because my softwares can still work. However, Vista will render my Office XP, and my other old softwares unusable! I'm still playing DOS games every now and then.

That was why I thought of Apple. If Microsoft wants to change my software, I rather I change completely to a new one. I can use open source software in the MacBook Pro for my day to day activities, and switch to bootcamp if I want to play games with Windows XP. Perfect. However, the MacBook Pro is not exactly cheap.

In Singapore, it's next to impossible to get any laptop with WinXP loaded. However, I recently found one unlikely source. Dell. I am able to fix up a laptop loaded with the hardware I want, the OS I need (WinXP Pro!), and the accessories. It's much cheaper too. Almost half the MacBook Pro price. However, Dell's laptops do not exactly have a good reputation for reliability. My laptops usually last more than 5 years. My current Fujitsu is in its 6th year, going 7th. One good news about Dell though is Michael Dell is back. Maybe the quality will be better? Hmm...

Now I'm in a dilemma again. Should I try something new? Or should I listen to my wallet?

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...