Sunday, April 6, 2008

Windows XP cut-off on June 30 2008

The date June 30 2008, has been cast in stone for Windows XP. For those who wish to get a computer with Windows XP, you'll have till then. Free support from Microsoft for Windows XP will be until April 2009, extended support (security fixes, and others) will be until 2014.

However, since last year June, it has been next to impossible in Singapore to get any computer with Windows XP installed. The retailers may do a free downgrade for you, but you do not have the recovery or master CD for Windows XP. That means if something happens to your computer (which is very likely), you can only recover it to Vista, not XP.

Till now, there's only one place in Singapore where I can still find Windows XP installed on a computer and comes with the CD. That's Dell. You can refer to my post here on the Dell Inspiron 1520 that I am currently using. Dell seems to be slowly phasing it out though, so if you're holding off the purchase and you want only Windows XP (like me), then its wise not to hold off any further.

For me, I do not think I'll ever switch to Vista. I was really laughing when I heard that some people have to disable Aero so that their games will not lag. My next computer should be a Mac, but that should be at least 5 years from now.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...