Thursday, May 7, 2009

Windows 7 and Snow Leopard

Wondering why suddenly there are so many sales of Macs, iPhones, and even normal laptops recently? The reason is quite simple.

Coming June 8 at WWDC 2009, not only the new iPhone 3G 3.0 updates will be announced, I think Snow Leopard, the new OS for the Mac will also be announced. And guess what? Windows 7 is also targeted to be released 3Q of this year.

So have you guess the reason for the sales? Everyone is clearing stock now, waiting for the new OSes or hardware to come in.

Previously, I have remarked on my blog that Windows Vista is going the way of Windows ME. I'm still of view that Vista is a mistake. However, it seems that Windows 7 is suppose to fix that mistake. Will history repeat? Windows Vista = Windows ME? Windows 7 = Windows XP? I would think I rather wait for the egg to hatch before I comment on it, based on past experience. I have nothing against Windows. I'm currently using Windows XP Pro right now to type this post. However, I personally feel that there's a tinge of arrogance when Vista was released. It's like the take it, or leave it mentality... Look at the number of complaints and unofficial downgrades from Vista to XP and you'll know what I mean. Sorry. I don't like this kind of attitude. I do not even think the XP mode is that big a deal. It's just another way for Microsoft to make more money. Since the launch of the Intel Mac, Mac OS provided a emulator called Rosetta that is able to run any applications created for the PowerPC Macs.

I'm actually more curious about Snow Leopard. Basically, other than adding Microsoft Exchange 2007 support in Snow Leopard, the other big changes will be the 64bit compatibility, support of multi-core processors by the OS itself, and OpenCL, which allows developers to take advantage of the GPU for non-graphics computing purposes. That is interesting... Basically, it's like trying to tell all the developers. I'm changing the OS, and I will make your applications run faster, and more efficient. You do not need to do anything, or you just need to change minimally. That's what I like about the Mac platform.

Snow Leopard is targeted to be a Mac OS that will make your present Mac fly. It'll be interesting once it is released.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...