Friday, August 28, 2009

iPhone is the number 2 top selling phone in the US

It's amazing how the iPhone can be the number 2 top selling phone in the US, even though it's only available through one carrier. Just imagine what the iPhone can do if there are no carrier restrictions.

In Singapore, I've already seen more and more people using iPhones compared to last year. For those carriers that think that iPhone is just a fad, well... They better think again. According to statistics, it seems that Microsoft is the biggest loser in this smartphone battle. Microsoft's global market share has fallen below 10%, while Apple has risen from 2.1% to 13.7% in 1 year!

In fact, I think you can write Microsoft off. Now the battle is between iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Palm Pre. That will be an interesting battle worth watching.

2 comments:

Gergely Imreh said...

I'd say it's not just carrier restrictions, but app restrictions as well. Sure, most people would whine and then gave up on getting the things they >really< want, and go with the superficial convenience of the Apple products.

But I'm really cheering for the Android phones to pick up. For me they seem to have better potential, from everyone's point of view: manufacturer, carrier and consumer.... I'm saving up for an HTC Magic, sure it can be improved, but for me it's already much better than any iPhone glitter. Having said that, I don't blame people wanting the iPhone. I just feel a little tiny bit sorry for them. :)

chantc said...

I have not really tested the Android handphone yet, but I did get complaints from a friend who says that the HTC G1 seems a tad too flimsy.

However, one thing to note about the Android OS is that the newer version is incompatible with the older version. Translated. If you're holding on to the first generation of Android handphone, you will not be able to upgrade to the latest Android OS.

I'm not sure why this is the case, but the iPhone has no such restrictions. Even with this 3rd generation iPhone OS, it can still be installed on the first generation iPhone, and the upgrade is seamless. No loss of data.

I reserve my comments for further comparison between these 2 types of phones as it may appear one-sided because I've not used an Android phone before.

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...