Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bandwidth costs affect cloud computing adoption?

Some time back, I read an article that says the bandwidth costs are limiting the cloud computing adoption for enterprise. I disagree with that line of thinking.

Reason is quite simple. If you have a killer app for cloud computing, no matter what you'll find a reason to justify the cost of moving to the cloud.

Drawing an analogy from the iPhone, do all of us normally have data plans? I don't think so. I've never even used MMS because I do not see the point in sending pictures over SMS. However, if you do an informal check with Singtel, I believe that their data plans take-up rate has soared. Why? Because the iPhone platform encourages the development of killer apps, and that in turn gives more consumers reasons to get the iPhone.

Currently, I have not seen that happening for cloud computing. I still think that cloud computing is a very interesting concept for on-premise deployment. For public clouds, I cannot really think of a killer app that would persuade a business to move their IT operations to the cloud.

Personally, I just think that it is too dangerous in terms of security and IP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...