Friday, October 2, 2009

Hardware more reliable than software?

I read an interesting post today saying that hardware is more reliable than software. I was actually laughing out loud when I read it.

My question is very simple. Will a laptop be of any use without an operating system running on top of it? What's the use of the iPhone hardware without the iPhone OS? I think you should get the idea of what am I driving at.

It's quite easy to shift all the blame to the software but one thing of note is that to make a terrific product, it's always a collaboration between the hardware and software vendors. Without cooperation from both sides, there will always be some kind of integration problem.

That is why Apple up to now is still keeping the hardware close to their chests (in my opinion). With control over the hardware, it will be much easier for software integration and the software team could also bounce new ideas off the hardware team.

So stop blaming the software people. They are the guys who'll never get the thanks when everything is working perfectly fine.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...