Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What can we learn from AEM-Evertech, SLA, M1 and Red Cross?

Recently, there have been quite a few corruption cases reported in a short span of time and other than looking at the amount that was lost, there are other points that we can gather from this episode.

First if you look across all the cases reported, you can see that whether corruption happens really depend on the person. CEO, Senior management, middle management, salesman and finance officers. You can see that this happens across all different types of job scopes.

Sure. Some people can say that there are not enough controls to "detect" this fraud. My question is that if the CEO is involved, are "controls" that effective?

Personally, the key point is that controls can only do so much. In the end, it's the people that matters. What's inside the heart, behind all those high grades, CCA, and profit-driven objectives. Previously when I interviewed people for a job, attitude to me is the most important other than the match in skills. The willingness to learn and collaborate. If I do not see this in a person and see it in action during probation, I will not recommend the job to this person. Having said that, do note though that I'm not HR trained. This is just my personal opinion.

Sad to say, my way of interviewing may not be the norm and bear in mind, there are always repercussions. Cause and effect always happens. It's just a matter of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep: Attitude over Aptitude
The same at my firm. Don't worry abt not being HR trained, as long as u can sniff out a gd candidate. None of the folks in my firm are HR trained but we are hiring right and growing well.
This is prob a bit off-topic, but on this issue of attitude, check out the movie "3 Idiots", one of the best I've watched in a very long while.
It's Bollywood movie, so get the one with English subs. Solid blu-ray version available on Torrent. Prepare snacks+drinks 'coz it's a 3hr movie. And no, this is not a joke.

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...