Monday, July 4, 2011

National Day Pre-preview at Floating Platform@Marina Bay

I've managed to get a ticket to watch the National Day Pre-preview held at the Floating Platform @ Marina Bay. I've decided to classify this post as "Singapore Attractions" because our National Day celebrations have evolved to look like one of the shows that you can catch at those major fun theme parks around the world.

This year's National Day will be held in the backdrop of an almost completed Marina Bay Sands. The theme? Musical. There will be 5 acts in total for the show. As this is a pre-preview, I believe some segments of the shows are missing. I was there at around 4pm but the show did not start until 6pm. Well, at least I had the front row seat.

I've been to the National Day parade many years ago at the National Stadium. Sad to say is that I felt that at that time, there was a much better atmosphere and you could feel the vibe in the air. At the Floating Platform@Marina Bay, the atmosphere somehow couldn't match the National Stadium. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, happy birthday in advance Singapore!

Happy Birthday Singapore!

The parade will not be complete without the hosts for that evening. They are Gurmit Singh, Suhaimi Yusof (a.k.a Avatar), Belinda Lee and  Denise Keller. Denise Keller may be standing in for Jean Danker though as Denise's name is nowhere to be found in the booklet provided in the fun pack.

Suhaimi was too far away for me to take a decent picture. I did manage to catch the rest though.

Gurmit Singh singing
Denise and Belinda trying to move the crowd

No Singapore National Day will be complete without the 21 gun salute. I was surprised to find that they actually floated the guns near to the Floating platform. But then again, I didn't manage to catch the National Day on TV ever since it was moved away from the National Stadium. The march-in was pretty interesting as they came in from the back and the front. Below are some of the pictures I've taken of the parade itself.

Preparation for 21 gun salute
the parade contingent
Singapore flag fly pass
No fancy formation for the fighter jets though. Straight fly pass
21 gun salute in action
Shooting in progress. :)
After the parade, it's time for the night segment. There are a total of 5 acts in this night segment. The 4th one was quite long though. As it is night time and the pace was quite fast, I've only managed to take a couple of shots below.

Finale of one of the acts
Lasers in action, with the flyer in the backdrop
Looks quite ordinary? That's because I took some segments out or the post will be super long. Will post them soon.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...