Sunday, July 22, 2012

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Managed to visit the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood along Nevsky Prospect during my Russia trip. It is also known as the Church on Spilt Blood and the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ, its official name. This Church was built on the site where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated and was dedicated in his memory.

The church is quite distinct and will not be missed if you keep your eyes peeled whenever you encounter a bridge at Nevsky Prospect. You'll see the church as shown in the picture below.


As you can see, it's hard to missed. Below is a picture of the frontal view of the church.


I thought I saw something distinct in the middle of the church so I zoomed in for a close-up, which is shown below.


I still find it amazing that the builders put so much detail into the cathedrals and churches that they built, and to some extend even some of the newer buildings that are being built in Russia. It's not something that you'll see in Singapore. In fact, you might be "scolded" for not being productive. :(

I've also zoomed in to the sides of the church and to my surprise, there are a number of icons that are engraved (I assume) at the sides, which is shown below.

 
You can see the entrance of the church at the far right of the picture below. The entrance fee is 250 roubles.


One thing I do note for St Petersburg is that most cathedrals/churches do not charge extra if you wish to take photos within. :) Below are a few of the shots that I've taken within the church to give a general feel of the interior.




You can find more information about the church here.

1 comment:

Rhinestic said...

Oh, I went to take a closer look at the 'engravings' on the outside wall. They are actually made from mosaic pieces!

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...