Monday, June 9, 2014

Car with no steering wheel?

Something hit me when I read about an automated car that is being researched where there is no steering wheel or pedals. What happens if something goes wrong?

It might be due to my nature of work but I'm trained to always look ahead to see what are the risks while keeping an eye on the present. When I read about this automated car, the first thing that came into my mind is, "What happens when something goes wrong?".

It's very simple. Anything will breakdown over time, regardless if it is electronic or analog. Things just cannot last forever. If the car doesn't have a steering wheel or a pedal, what happens when the car breaks down?

Even in the movie I-Robot, the movie creators knew better and allow the car driver to manually override the car and they have actually "injected" such examples into the movie when certain things breakdown and you require manual override.

For me at least, I'll never drive a car that does not allow me to manually override it. It just doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...